Monday 6 June 2011

It's a Baby Shower

I LOVE making cupcakes, as I'm sure you can tell by my blog name. But on occasion I dabble into cake making when someone asks me too. I actually started out making cakes, and then fell in love with cupcakes.
Recently my Aunt threw a baby shower for my cousin, and I got the honor of making the baby shower cake. My aunt sent out the cutest invites that had little polka-dotted elephants on them so that is where I took my inspiration from:
 

I wish I had some better pictures to show you, but in my rush to get it all done, I forgot to take any pictures at all, this one was actually taken by my cousin.
I made 3 large sheet pans of cake, 2 lemon and 1 vanilla. I stacked them together using a Italian meringue butter cream, I like using it best under fondant, it's a much smoother texture and I find easier to spread then a milk and sugar butter cream. To cut the elephant shape I used a template that my Aunt had made me from her work. For me that was the easy part.
Next came the fondant job. I have never had any training on using fondant or any kind of decorating at all, I just like to jump in head first and see where it takes me. As you can see from some of the lines I had to do some patch work to get the fondant around the legs, and the nose as well. Luckily the entire cake was covered with polka dots, so I was able to cover up most of it. Once the brown fondant was laid, i used left over butter cream to attached the polka dots I had made with died fondant.
Since there was so much cake left over from the large sheets cakes I decided to make something I have never tired before. Cake Pops.


These turned out amazing, and are a great way to use up any left over cake. I took all the cake I had left over from the sheet cake after cutting out the elephant and threw it all into my mixer with any icing I had left over. Mixed until combined. I then rolled the cake mixture into 2 bite balls, stuck a candy stick in the middle and put them in the fridge over night.
The next morning I melted some white chocolate candy pieces over a double boiler and dunked each ball in the chocolate. You have to work fast for this one the cake ball start to thaw they fall off the stick while dipping them in the chocolate, I would reccomend just doing a few at a time. Once they were all covered I put them back in the fridge for an hour to make sure the candy coating was hard. I used the microwave to melt the pink and purple candy coating and swirrled is on with a spoon.
Overall it was a great day, everyone loved all the my sweet treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment