Monday 27 June 2011

A 50th Birthday

So this weekend was my godfather/Uncle's 50th birthday and I was asked to make the cake. He only made one request that is cake be blue.. not really much help. But i know my Uncle well and I had an idea right from the start.
His cake theme was golf, since I know it is his favorite past time, he plays just about every weekend with me dad. I love making cakes and cupcakes so I thought of a fun way to combine them all. After some research I had the perfect cake laid out.
It started with making gum paste decorations to go on the cupcakes
I made some small golf balls, tee's and flags out of gum paste (sorry for the pictures they were all taken with my phone)



















I LOVE my chocolate cupcake recipe no matter what, or how far in advance make them, they always stay moist and light. They are by far the one recipe I get the most compliments on.
So I made 4 dozen medium sized cupcakes all chocolate of course. I iced them with a light blue butter cream icing and decorated with my gum paste golf pcs.
I knew I wanted to make a vanilla cake as a cake topper, since I had the perfect idea for stacking the 3 levels of the cake/cupcake cake.
I made 2 8" round vanilla butter cakes that I was able to cut into 4 layers. I covered the cake in a Italian meringue buettercream, and then in light blue fondant. I like the meringue butter cream is spreads better on the cake and it's not overly sweet.
I started searching around for some ideas of what I could do to carry the gold theme onto the cake, and I found a wonderful argyle pattern. You know the pattern that is made up of diamonds of different colors. Ya I took on a LOT but it turned out great.
When I first started cutting the diamonds out of the gum paste I was measuring each one, after 3 i decided it was way to much work and cut some templates out of cardboard, and used that with a sharp knife. It ended
up taking a couple of hours but well worth it.
This is just come of the cutouts in varying colors of blue and some white.
Next I set out to stick them all onto the cake, using what was left of my butter cream, and trying to keep it as straight and level as possible.
I also made small golf balls to go around the edge of the cake (yes I sat there and made tiny dimples on every one of those little balls )
Over all i was very happy with the way the cupcake/cake turned out, it was a hit at the party my Uncle cried when he saw it, and the argyle pattern turned out to be not nearly as scary as I thought it was going to be

No comments:

Post a Comment